Saturday, 23 April 2011

Teversal 2-3 Eccleshill United

Saturday 23rd April 2011 -- NCEL Div 1

No particular reason for going to Teversal again, other than the fact it's a nice club to visit - sometimes it's not the best football you'll ever see, but there's always plenty of friendly banter and always a warm welcome. This game was an typical end of season encounter, played on a dust-bowl of a pitch - but another 5 goals chalked up, another £1.50 to the APTCOO pot --- making the total hit the £750.00 mark !

Arrived slightly early hoping to catch a little cricket - but as we walked to the cricket pitch, the players walked off - must have seen us coming!! 

A glorious, hot spring afternoon saw the home subs strip off to soak up a few rays, but the Referee was having none of it and they were soon asked to sit in their dugout.

Eccleshill striker Marcus Edwards had chalked up 34 goals before the game began - Tevie’s top marksman Mitch Slawson, had 18 to his name.

United had their first effort on goal after just 42 seconds – Andy Howland dinking a shot onto the roof of the net, then 60 seconds later, Hoyland volleyed over with keeper Jono Wilson well beaten.

So, two minutes in and two decent chances for Eccleshill – but it was the home team who scored the games first goal on 11. Danny Pearson found Jamie Goodacre, and even though the full back mis-cued his pass, it fell to kindly to JOEL SMITH who remained calm after his first shot was saved, and rifled the loose ball past Tahj Bell in the United goal.

Tevie had a great chance to increase the lead after 18 minutes when a superb cross in was handled by a defender. Cockerill opted to take the kick, even though the call went out to give it to Goodacre. The Tevie no.7 hammered the kick off the foot of the post – and when it fell to Scott Price, and the visitors no. 5 cleared the danger.

Wilson had to save from Edwards on 23 after Ollie Banks had played him in, then Edwards fizzed a shot past the post on 36. The scores were level in the second minute of added time, that man MARCUS EDWARDS volleying home from 12 yards. H-T

Had a wander into the refreshment area at half-time – despite the hot weather, the chips seemed to be going down well !!!

Straight from the re-start, Eccleshill took the lead, a great mazy run by Edwards ending with him crossing from the right to where OLIVER BANKS was waiting at the far post to slot home.

Pearson hit a fierce drive after 49 that Bell did well to hold on to as United looked to add to their tally. Slawson had a couple of efforts in the 73rd minute, but both flew past the outside of the post, then two minutes later Will Harcourt headed wide from a corner when it looked easier to score.

With 5 minutes to play, it was all square – MITCH SLAWSON crashing home a pile-driver in side the post that Bell could only wave bye-bye.

Thoughts of a well deserved point evaporated just 60 seconds later when SCOTT PRICE was played in by Edwards, and he made no mistake from close range. Edwards appeared to have handled the ball before he played the ball to Price, but Referee Mr. Adam Smith ignored the Tevie shouts, and the goal stood. F-T 2-3

Admission £4
Programme £1
Attendance 63

More Sunday football next up .... Rolls Royce Leisure Athletic v Clumber

No comments:

Post a Comment