Wednesday, 29 December 2010

FOOTBALL! It's back!! AFC Hucknall 4-2 Harworth CI

Wednesday 29th December 2010 -- Central Midlands League Challenge Cup R1

After a bleak few weeks, we were finally able to get "on the road" again - well only just on the road, because Hucknall's Watnall Road ground is barely a five minute drive from home!!! Had a really good evening in some cracking company - although after 45 minutes a blank scoreline left us hoping the teams would give us a better second half, especially after paying £4 to get in. They did! 6 goals, a bit of handbags and a missed penalty... marvellous!

The teams observed a minutes silence prior to kick off in memeory of Mr. Tom Brogan who passed away on Christmas eve. Tom was secretary at Harworth for over 30 years.

We met up with facebook friend and fellow hopper Chris Bedford - then Rob Hornby appeared ghostly out of the mist and introduced us to a couple from Germany. Serious hopping is that!!

Spent the first half standing next to the dugouts, in the company of Steve Reading and Neil Laughlin. Neil kindly donated cash to the APTCOO fund - much appreciated ....

Not a very eventful first period - we had a bit of a wander at the break moving to stand behind the Watnall Road goal - and wouldn't you know it the second half was only 8 minutes old and AFC were 3-0 up and all the goals in the Salterford Road end - the end opposite to where we were situated!!

MAX WRIGHT was the first to net on 49, prodding home from close range. JAKE FISHER was allowed space on the far post to slot home 2 minutes later, then WRIGHT was also allowed room at the far post to stab home his second on 53.

Harworth pulled one back in the 64th minute, their no. 12 rifling a shot at goal that AFC keeper Hadlee Dunn could only parry into the roof of the net. AFC added their fourth after 80, FISHER appearing to beat the Harworth back line twice before smashing the ball across the visiting keeper.

Very pleasant evening - warm, damp and a bit misty - it was just good to get a game in. Only our third game this month!! Thanks for the company, Steve, Neil, Chris, Rob et al......a most enjoyable night!

It was 4-2 soon after, the Harworth no.10 on hand to nod home from 6 yards. They had a chance to make the last few minutes a bit nervous for AFC, when referee Harry Hawkins awarded them a penalty after Wayne Duik pulled down a Harworth player in the box. 'Keeper Dunn saved the spot kick with his legs, and just seconds later Mr. Hawkins blew for full time. F-T 4-2

This result could see AFC getting team of the month award -- they beat Supreme Division leaders Pinxton a couple of weeks ago and this was another Supreme division scalp - any other team better that in December???

Admission £4
H/C 35
Programme £1

More football before the month end -- Hucknall Town Ressies are playing Thursday dinner and Radford take on Gedling MW in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment