Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Southwell City 0-4 Yorkshire Main

Wednesday 30th March 2011 -- CML Floodlit Cup final

Venue : Kirklington Road, Rainworth, kick off 7:45pm

We had a chauffeur for this game. Mr. Dennett wanted to use up some petrol as he was going to take possession of a new motor on Friday, and didn't want to leave too much fuel in the tank for his old car's new was quite an experience - on more than one occasion it was "eyes closed and pray " time!!!! Still, we arrived safe and sound at Rainworth and with 5 minutes to spare as well! 

Rob Hornby welcomed us to the game, and promptly reminded us that we had promised to sponsor a race at a forth-coming race night...only a fiver apiece from me and Kev... and after what we have been witness to with charities this season, that seems like peanuts.

We stood at the Kirklington Road end of the ground for the first half, and for a long while it seemed that we would struggle for a goal. Then on 41, City no. 5 Jamie Bennett lost concentration in his goal area. He appeared to handle, but then hesitated waiting for the whistle to blow - it didn't, and although he tried to hack clear, CURTIS WALKER nipped in to jab home from 4 yards.

One became two when WALKER was again on hand to nod home from close range right on the stoke of half-time. H-T 0-2

Richard "Wanderer" Lane walked past doing a "head-count".  He returned to have a chat, and handed me a cheque for the Charity.  Well and truly gob-smacked - his cheque took the running total to £666.60p !!  Relocated to the other end for the second half and were rewarded with another two goals - very unusual for us to pick the end where the goals go in!!

It has to be said that the third goal was a bit of a farce - no less than three Yorkshire Main players were left bearing down on goal, as the Southwell offside trap failed miserably.  MARK COOPER got to the ball first of the three, and slotted home.  Despite all the protests from the City players,  assistant Ref Andy Bills had made a good call - when the ball was played into the area all three of the Main players were on-side.

Main full back Stefan Cairns was shown a straight red for stamping soon after, but even down to 10 men, they never looked to be in any trouble against a very lightweight City attack. The Main actually increased their lead on 81.  This time a long ball over the top beat the City defenders, and as keeper Dave Parkes came out to try and block, ADAM WATSON lifted the ball over him and looked on gleefully as the ball nestled in the back of the net.  F-T 0-4

Admission £3
Programme £1
Richard Lane H/C 189 official attendance 179

Off to Kimberley on Thursday - game no. 23 of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment