Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Carlton Town 4-5 Hucknall Town

Wednesday 9th February 2011 - Evo-Stik League Cup R4

Greeted inside the ground by a very nice couple we first met at the Heanor Town v Holwell Sports game. Judith and Barry Wilkins are avid "On The Road" blog readers and at Heanor came over to say hi. The game finished 8-1 to Heanor. Carlton v Hucknall finished 4-5, and they were at Brigg at the weekend to see their beloved Loughborough Dynamos win 7-1.. Anyone wanting to see goals should try to find out where this delightful couple are scheduled to be in the future and tag along!! On a more serious note, Barry and Judith made a marvelous donation to the APTCCO fund, and took the "other" donations to £400.00! Thanks from me and Kev from the bottom of our hearts......


So, Carlton Town old boys v Carlton Town – strange to see Tommy Brookbanks in the away dugout.....Carlton was, until recently, his home for many years. Former Carlton players in the Hucknall squad :- Whalin, Smith, Gent, Whitman, Ball, Brindley and Chaplin. This was a ding-dong game that kept us in dread of the spectre of extra-time right until the final whistle.

MASSIAH McDONALD opened the scoring on 25, heading home a Neil Grayson cross from close range. Hucknall replied 8 minutes later when TJ Nightingale threaded a superb ball through to MARTIN BALL who took his time before calmly slotting past West in the Carlton goal. They then took the lead just before the break, BALL heading powerfully home from a right wing corner. H-T 1-2

NEIL GRAYSON levelled the scores with just 27 seconds of the restart, diving at the far post to head home a Gardner cross. Carlton regained the lead after 55 minutes when Hawkridge tried his luck from 25 yards. Whalin found the effort too hot to handle, spilling it straight at the feet of GRAYSON who took great delight in stabbing home from close range. On 58 it was all square again, this time a right wing cross headed home by TRIS WHITMAN at the far post.

Hucknall made it 3-4 on 69, ROB GILL lashing home across West after he was given too much time on the corner of the box. WHITMAN added the away team’s fifth just 60 seconds later after being played in superbly by Gill. The diminutive winger never had to break stride, running onto the pass and hammering the ball past West. It was squeaky bum time after 76 minutes when CURTIS SHAW converted a penalty for the home team that sent us perilously near to the dreaded extra-time.

Good defending, goal-line clearances and last ditch challenges by the visitors’ back-line ensured the game ended during regulation time. F-T 4-5

Admission £7
Attendance 103
Saturday – off to plains road again to see Gedling MW entertain Blackwell MW.

No comments:

Post a Comment