Monday, 2 May 2011

Kirkby Town 3-1 Dronfield Town

Monday 2nd May 2011 -- CMFL Supreme Division

End of season game – both teams seemed to be merely fulfilling fixture obligations – although some the Kirkby players may have had an agenda in trying to impress Manager Dave Winter, looking for a place in the squad for next Sunday’s CML Cup final.

A bitterly cold wind met us as we entered the ground – along with fellow Kempsterites Fredkirkbytown and Pontecarlo (aka Eddie)! There is a lack of fixtures Nationwide, and Eddie took this opportunity to make his first visit to the Summit Centre.

The Dronfield team was well below full strength – and no subs were named. Kirkby looked to have fielded a strong-ish team, athough their only named sub was Manager Winter.


  Mr. Dennett was also in attendance, but  Kirkby must be a little disappointed with the turn out – Eddie head counted only 39, and this decreased steadily to just over 20, as the less than thrilling second half and the freezing cold took their toll…………
We took up a position next to the stand in the hope of finding a bit of shelter, but the blinding sun and howling wind combined to make it a very uncomfortable afternoon.

Dronfield took the lead on 12, when SCOTT AUSTIN fired home from 15 yards after the home defence allowed him too much time and space.


Kirkby were level after 28 minutes had been played, MARK CARTER hammering home at the second attempt after his original shot had rebounded off the post.

With just two minutes of the half remaining the home team were ahead, this time a ball in from the right by Carter neatly flicked home by CARL RUSSO. 

90 seconds later Kirkby added their third, MARK “Butch” WALTERS netting at the second attempt after his first shot was blocked by Dronfield keeper Richard Henson. H-T 3-1
Not a lot happened in the second half, and as the sun dipped lower and the temperature continued to drop, the notepad stayed firmly in my pocket. Henson did pull off a great diving save from the Kirkby no. 9 on 66, but that was it as far as noteworthy action goes.

Joined with about 20 minutes to go by facebook friend and hopper Chris Bedford – his first act was to hand me a donation to APTCOO ….. as per usual when this happens, I am lost for words – so I hope “thanks, Chris” will be sufficient.

Chris was hoping to get the Church Warsop / Pinxton game in as well as the Kirkby game, but the 1pm kick off at the Alley was changed to 2pm, meaning he could only get to the Summit Centre with three quarters of the game already played. F-T 3-1

Pontecarlo asked if we could drop him at Kirkby Station - I had to admit I had no idea where the Station was and I only live 5 miles away!!  Kev and Eddie between them explained where the station was, but I still drove straight past the entrance!  Managed to park just a few yards up the road, leaving Ponte with only a short walk...

Admission £3


H/C ( Pontecarlo) 39

Tuesday – Notts F.A. Senior Cup final between Carlton Town and Eastwood Town at Field Mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment