Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Carlton Town 2-2 Grantham Town

Wednesday 19th January 2011 -- Evo-Stik League Division 1 South


 This was our fifth game in five days, and that isn't going to happen again in a hurry. Not only is it a bit draining on the finances, another marathon like this may well end Kev's marriage!!

Anyway, first mention to the car-park steward at Stoke Lane - when we arrived there was not a lot of room to park, but the steward allowed us to park just outside the entrance and allayed any fears of us being blocked in. If only all the high-vis men were as decent as this one!! Grabbed a team-sheet from Mr. Dennett - over the past few seasons Brian has become a real friend of "On The Road" and it's always a pleasure to be in the man's company. Brian is also the latest to donate to the APTCOO charity fund - much appreciated buddy!

Carlton had Deon Meikle on debut - the former Eastwood Town man had signed for the Millers from Worksop after the Hucknall game on Tuesday. He was to have a decent game in midfield, but unfortunately he didn't quite last the 90 minutes - not through fatigue - two yellow cards followed by a red ended his involvement in the game in the 83rd minute.

Carlton were without regulars Joe Naylor, Ashley Kitchen, and Nick Hall, then lost Josh Thornton just before half-time through injury. The game was a bit dull early doors, and the first real chance came on 20 - keeper Neil West fluffed his kick and presented Carchedi with an open goal - the diminutive winger struck the ball well enough at goal, but it crashed off the post saving the keepers blushes.

Grantham looked to have opened the scoring after 33, but Referee Mr. Carratt ruled that West had been fouled, much to the dismay of the Grantham fans that were standing right behind the goal. The home team took the lead with one minute of the half left, and it has to be said totally against the run of play.

Journeyman striker NEIL GRAYSON had showed very little during the half, but his sublime dink over Murray into the top corner from 18 yards was a real masterpiece. H-T 1-0

Grantham were level on the hour mark after Ben Saunders' speculative cross/shot from the right wing dropped over the head of Millers' keeper Neil West. Surprised everyone, none more than Saunders!

The game was by this time becoming a bit of a physical affair, with one or two rash challenges going in. Bonnick and Meikle were both shown yellow by Mr. Carratt as Carlton tried to regain a foothold in the game. On 79, Alistair Asher missed his kick as the ball was played out of the Carlton defence, allowing Bonnick a clear run at goal. The striker could have tried his luck, but saw that TERRY HAWKRIDGE was in a far better position and when the winger received the ball he stayed calm and slammed it past keeper Murray.

The home team were only ahead for two minutes - GIO CARCHEDI lashing home from the edge of the box after good approach play by Grantham. Then Meikle received his second yellow, leaving his colleagues to battle out the remaining time a man down. Credit the home team though - battle they did and managed to hang on for a point. F-T 2-2

Grantham were arguably the better team on the night, but full marks to under-strength Carlton for a gutsy performance.

Admission £7

Attendance 124

A rest now until Saturday - then we're off to Pinxton

No comments:

Post a Comment