Sunday, 8 May 2011

Yorkshire Main 2-2 Kirkby Town

Sunday 8th May 2011 -- CML Cup final

“Wheelchair” Trev Williams was in the car park when I arrived at North Street, and once inside the ground, met up with Rob Waite, Adam Barlow and Mick Cook. Richard “Wanderer” Lane was selling programmes, Hazel Hornby raffle tickets while Brian Dennett strutted his stuff in his Sunday best…

Mr. Waite bought his Sunday lunch – looked great – but the small (!) portion didn’t last very long!!!!!!!!

This is the CML flagship final – but this game was a bit dull for the most part. Livened up a bit in the 40th minute when Chris Hanson decided he didn’t like the challenge of Kirkby’s Kieren Watson and gave the striker a smacking! Straight red for the Main no. 3. H-T 0-0

Main went ahead on 48 after Referee Sean Richardson decided that Tom Holmes’s challenge on Adam Watson was illegal and punishable by the award of a penalty. A bit of a strange decision as the full back clearly won the ball cleanly and fairly.  CURTIS WALKER didn’t care – he stepped up and blasted the ball past Louis Sprigg to give Main the lead.

SAM HOLMES restored parity on 66, curling a beauty past Ward from 25 yards. Kirkby failed to take advantage of their extra man for the remainder of the half, and we were into the dreaded extra-time…F-T 1-1

KIERAN WATSON put Kirby in front in the 100th minute – he was allowed to run at goal with no-one picking him up, and the striker made no mistake sliding the ball home.

The equalising goal on 113 was a stunner from the prolific ADAM WATSON. Ricky Starbuck tried to carry the ball out of defence, but Watson robbed him and raced to the near post before hitting a vicious strike past Sprigg. Great goal, but poor defending from Kirkby.

Main had another player dismissed with 4 minutes of extra-time to be played – think it was no. 4 John Tunney, but he’d taken his shirt off before he left the pitch, so can’t be sure. Main held on and we entered the lottery of penalties.

Kirkby missed their first three kicks, while Main missed two with only Adam Watson netting. A poor shoot-out ended with MARK COOPER scoring Main’s 6th after Kyle Ludlow had put his effort out of the ground.

So Yorkshire Main win 3-2 on pens…and complete a hat-trick of cup successes after their Floodlit cup triumph over Southwell City and their 9-0 demolition of Edlington Town in the Doncaster Cup.

Admission £4

Programme £1

Attendance ?

No comments:

Post a Comment