Saturday, 16 October 2010

Gedling Town 0-1 Blackwell MW

Saturday 16th October 2010 --- East Midlands Counties League.

Turned out to be a really bad day for "On The Road" !!! A real stinker of a game, the tea was rancid, the new camera failed us miserably, and to make Kev's day even worse, the Super Reds lost at Barnsley......

Highlight of the day for Kev was the Double Decker choccie bar at half-time! Mine was seeing Mr. Mac's face after the game!!

Any reporter who could write a 1000 word match report on this game would be well worth his salary! Gedling were poor, but Blackwell had played ten and lost the lot prior to this game, so this should have been a home banker....

Aiden Whitmore in the centre of the visitors defence was as solid as a rock, and missed hardly anything throughout the whole 90 minutes.

Whitmore clears

Arron Large receives treatment early in the game

Castledine and Galloway - plenty of experience on hand there!!

Blackwell gaffer Paul McFarland was on holiday so Gary Castledine took over team affairs, and for most of the game was calm and collected. Can't say the same about his opposite number though ...Mick Galloway ranted and raved for the majority of the game, and the perimeter boards occasionally took a real kicking.

When the teams were announced over the P.A, Andrew Fretwell was listed as keeper for Blackwell, but all through the game his team-mates kept calling hin "Booty" ! Confused me a little because the regular keeper for the Welfare is Steve Boot...

Great save from the Blackwell keeper - whoever he was!

Nice boots, Mr. Jepson

Chris Atkins had a half chance to put Gedling ahead on 36, but his far post volley flew just wide of the post. H-T 0-0

Then came the trip to the tea-bar -- one sip and launched into the hedge bottom. To quore Mr. Goodman, it was "rancid". I seldom bother with half-time beverages, and was quite pleased and a little smug that I had declined this time!!

Arron Large hit the foot of the Blackwell post with a sweetly struck free-kick 5 minutes into the second half, and James Jepson fired in a fierce drive that the keeper did well to hold on to. Chris Atkins had a shot saved on 59, but the general play struggled to get above schoolboy level. Until the 72nd minute that is. Blackwell's Simon Hewer tried to pull out of a challenge on Jepson, but the Gedling full-back went over anyway and the Referee awarded the home team a penalty.


Jimmy Spiers hit the kick well enough, but was foiled by the bar. The BANG you can hear after Atkins had fired the loose ball way over the bar, was Mr. Galloway taking it out on the perimeter boards again.

With 7 minutes left to play, Gedling went behind to a great goal. STEPHEN ATKINSON raced into the box from the right and was allowed time and space to fire home from the most acute of angles. The goal lit up a poor game, but there was one man in particular I was really pleased for.

When Blackwell are not playing, our friend Mr. Mac spends his time attending other games, and we meet up on a regular basis. His son is Paul MacFarland, the Blackwell Manager, and Mr. Mac has been at pitch side for all of the ten of the previous defeats this season! He looked quite happy with things when the Referee finally blew his whistle to bring the game to an end. A good end to a bad day! F-T 0-1

Admission £4

Attendance 47

MOM Blackwell's Aiden Whitmore by a mile

Tea -- £0.50 and yeukk apparently!

Field Mill next ( maybe) to see Glapwell play Stamford in the Trophy.
If not, then Blidworth W v Kimberley Town on Tuesday

We spent most of the first period trying to sort out the recently purchased replacement camera. It wouldn't save the pics Kev was taking - turns out the Scandisk SD memory card is faulty....managed to get a few pics though, but the penalty video more than compensates for the lack of still images. Not that there was much to photograph anyway!!!

No comments:

Post a comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.