Saturday, 22 January 2011

Pinxton FC A-A Nettleham FC

Saturday 22nd January 2011 -- CML Supreme Division

Pinxton FC (click to enlarge, double click to supersize!)

A cracking game that was sadly ended early due to an injury to Pinxton keeper Joey McCormack. I am sure that Kev will join me in wishing the young man a speedy recovery.


 Match officials

Kick off

Leaders Pinxton entertained 6th bottom Nettleham in which, on paper at least, should have been a "gimme". Unfortunately for Pinxton, Nettleham had other ideas and took the game to their host right from the off. The Lincs outfit took the lead in the 6th minute, when left back BUCKLEY fired in a corner from the right that eluded both keeper McCormack and James Senior at the far post.

Goal from the corner kick

They should have doubled the lead on 12, but McCormack did well to block from Lee Beesley after the striker had been picked out and Liam Collins had failed to stop the shot.

No.9 Lee Beesley foiled

Beesley (no.9) nods home, but this effort was ruled out - there was an offence somewhere....

Pinxton had a great shout for a penalty soon after, the ball clearly striking a defenders arm - however, Referee Mr. Thomas Hawkins and his Assistant both missed the offence and waved play on.

Penalty ref ! Not given....

The home team pulled level on 15 after Nettleham veteran keeper Daniels charged out of goal, but missed his kick when put under pressure by Wayne Cooke. The loose ball ran to JAY COOPER who calmly slotted into the empty net from the corner of the box. Just before the break, Nettleham re-took the lead after a great pass from Beesley found SZENDREY and the no. 11 controlled well before firing the ball across McCormack and into the back of the net. H-T 1-2

Spent most of the half in the company of Blidworth's Brett Marshall and Dave Bramwell. Their game at Kirkby had been called off due to the pitch being frozen - they were informed of this while they were in the changing rooms getting ready for the game!

The league leaders were on level terms within just 2 minutes of the restart - JAMIE RENSHAW doing really well to slide in and prod home from 6 yards after the ball had been played into his path. Or - if you want Jamie's version - a 30 yard screamer into the top corner! They were in front five minutes later after Arron Brady went for an overhead kick on 51, but was fouled in the act, according to Mr. Hawkins. I think most people in attendance were slightly amazed at this decision, but FRASER THOMAS didn't care as he smashed the ball past 43 year old Daniels.

Nettleham were not too put off by this latest decision by Mr. Hawkins, and kept pressing the home defence. They were rewarded on 72 when BOWDEN netted from close range after a mix up in the Pinxton defence.
Then came the incident that ultimately saw the game abandoned. McCormack jumped to collect a ball in from the left and appeared to have fumbled the ball allowing LEE BEESLEY a simple tap in. It transpired though, that the keeper had fallen badly on his ankle as he landed, the injury causing him to release the ball.

Ben Newman was ready to take McCormack's place in goal, but no-one seemed to want to take responsibility for moving the stricken player, who was sitting on the cold ground in the goalmouth. After a 30-odd minute wait for an ambulance to turn up, Mr. Hawkins decided that the game would be abandoned. Sad end to a great game - Nettleham were well worth the win, but now the outcome of the game rests with the CML committee. If the game has to be replayed, I hope we can get to it!

Strange to see the ambulance struggling to get up the Pinxton slope - well, it struggled until several people (including Kev) gave it a shove!
Admission £2
H/C 35
Next up -- Under 19's at Arnold on 24th ...

No comments:

Post a Comment