Saturday, 5 February 2011

Heanor Town 2-1 Radcliffe Olympic

Saturday 5th February 2011 -- EMCL

After all the rain in this area overnight, it was with some trepidation that I opened the local non-league websites. I was expecting there to be games off left, right and centre. Not a bit of it. Only a handful of games were called off, and despite the Town Ground pitch being a bit damp, our game was given the go ahead.
Teams: Heanor - Mark Frost, Lee Stevenson, Phil Austin, Ryan Cancellara, Brett Peel, Adam Kay, Gary Webster, Jimmy Gee-Pemberton, Nathan Benger, Dan Williams, Lee Askham.
Radcliffe - James Mountain, Ashley Miles, Stephan Dalmedo, Wes Spencer, Jamie Spence, Grant Walton, Ben Richardson, Craig Anderson, Josh Royce, Carl Westcarr, Aaron Korol.

Damp-ish at the Town Ground!!


 Well observed minutes silence

Stood in the stand at the pitch side as the game kicked off, but the rain was driving into that stand and after 20 minutes we relocated to the stand behind the goal. Good move as it happened - giving Kev a close shot as he recorded the Heanor winning goal .....

The first half was fairly even, with both sides struggling with the awful conditions and the rain-soaked pitch. My coat was wet, my programme was wet and so was the notebook, so no copious notes on this occasion.
The home team had a great chance to take the lead from the spot on 33. Lee Askham made a terrific, mazy run down the left and when he cut into the box he was tripped - Referee Mr. David Henfrey having no hesitation in awarding the penalty. Unfortunately Nathan Benger's shot from the spot was a bit tame, and gave Radcliffe keeper James Mountain the chance to dive to his left and save.

Josh Royce failed to connect after 39, with the goal gaping, then seconds later he was alone in the box again, but could only direct his header over the bar. H-T 0-0

Royce just fails to connect

Royce heads over

Drowned rat !! Mark Frost looks like he needs a half-time cuppa!

Radcliffe went in front with 20 minutes of the second half played - CARL WESTCARR prodding home from close range after the ball ran loose in front of the Heanor goal.

Heanor battled well to try and get back in the game, but it was the introduction of subs Ashley Grayson and Graham Wells that eventually swung this game in their favour.

On 77, Grayson fired the ball in from the right, and NATHAN BENGER rose like a salmon to head over Mountain to restore parity. The winner came in the 83rd minute - a cross from the right appeared to be over-hit, but Wells nodded it back into the danger area where DAN WILLIAMS turned his marker before ramming the ball into the roof of the net.

Williams slams home the winner

At the final whistle you had to feel for the Radcliffe players - they had given their all, but in vain. Centre-back Jamie Spence had a belter of a game, marred only by his failure in preventing the Heanor winning goal. F-T 2-1

Admission £5
Programme £1
Attendance 86
Tea/coffee - small styrofoam cup, but only £1.10 for both.
Hopefully off to see Unity again on Monday - depends on how the Calverton pitch coped with the rain - their first team went down 0-3 to Kirkby.

No comments:

Post a Comment