Friday, 10 December 2010

Any games left? No!!!!

Glapwell P-P Shepshed Rainworth MW P-P Spalding Utd Teversal P-P Brodsworth W South Normanton Ath P-P Thorne Colliery 3pm Basford Utd P-P Hucknall Rolls 2pm Boots Athletic P-P Keyworth Utd 2pm Kimberley MW P-P Forest Town 2pm Saw this on the Boots Athletic website.... "I was disappointed to hear today's games were called off and couldn't help but pine for the good old days when men were men and the sheep got nervous. In any cold snap, such as the one we are now experiencing, the local magistrate, who doubled as referee for all home games in his parish, would prepare for a game on snow by soaking the match ball overnight in the blood of a local virgin so it could be seen clearly in the snow. I suppose a modern day equivalent would be a girl who hadn't been spit-roasted yet. "The Team managers would trawl the local orphanages collecting up the waifs and strays. They would all be promised a shiny new half-penny for clearing the lines using their bare hands but,as this was before the time of Esther Rantzen and childline, they were usually only allowed to dip their hands into the coal brazier afterward instead. "Both sides would gather in the village hall where, they would be given for their pre-match warm-up which invariably consisted of a pint of mulled ale and ten Woodbines. Games were played for seven hours each way by which time the nail-in studs were driven deep into the soles of your feet, but our love of the game was such that you didn't complain, you kept a stiff upper lip and toiled on manfully. "Half-time consisted of a pint of warmed bull's blood, a handful of roast chestnuts off the brazier and a rousing sing-song. Then it was back into action with sleeves rolled up and socks round the ankles. There were no such things as fouls, if you had your leg broken, you were expected to firmly shake the hand of your opponent and then, after a pat on the back from the skipper, resume play in a committed and tigerish manner. At full time we were led by the skipper, usually named either Chalky, Nobby or Ginge, down to the pond on the village green where, after he had broken the ice, we would clean the blood and snot of our bodies. Then it was off to the local tavern where we were plied with fine local ales and pigs trotters, before heading off to the pit for a seventeen hour shift." Payney
Aah,, the good old days......

1 comment: